Canaan Depot Station Renovations

canaan - 2017

The Canaan Union Depot, originally built in 1872, was the oldest station in continuous operation in this country before being extensively damaged by a fire in October 2001. The two-story station, designed in Gothic Revival style, employs a collection of vertical and horizontal sidings; trims and shapes; soffit and canopy brackets; overhanging roof soffits; arched doors and windows; and a three-story corner tower to give the building a distinctive presence. The Union Depot, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, was restored by the Connecticut Railroad Historical Association (CRHA), the owner of the building since 2003. The CRHA, in association with the Town of Canaan, has received grants, including a Federal enhancement grant from FTA, to complete the restoration of the Depot as a commercial center and museum. Renovations were overseen by the CT SHPO and had to meet the Secretary of Interior Standards for Historic Rehabilitation. The first phase of renovations, completed in 2005, re-built the south wing of the “L” shaped station as a shell. The final phase of renovations began in 2010 with construction kick-off in September 2016. This final stage encompassed fully restoring the north wing and fitting out the entire building to be a mixed-use commercial structure; this work was completed in late 2017.

Typology Historic
location Canaan, CT
client CT Historic Railroad Association
status Completed December 2018


Structural & MEP Engineer AI Engineers, Inc.
Architect Gregg Wies & Gardner Architects
Historical Consultant Fitzgerald & Halliday, Inc.
Landscape Architect Stephanie Fuss Associates
General Contractor Lawrence Brunoli, Inc.